02 May I Think The Magic Baby Dust Missed Me…
When you get married, that is the beginning of your new family. You and your husband then, together, birth new life onto the scene. You decorate nurseries, have baby showers, takes pictures, and then you have this child that everyone is congratulating you for… sound great, right? Well, I’m gonna be honest. That just may not be my reality.
I’ve struggled with the term infertility for a long time. Like how am I a woman, but out of all the things, I may not be able to do the ONE thing God has especially kept for women. Like that hurts. It almost is like the term is snatching away my womanhood, and my idea of every having a family. You try and try and get discouraged by every negative test you read. Then you get reminded of your shortcomings with every announcement of a new bouncing baby boy or girl that will coming within the year. Like I wanna be happy but how? I look my husband in the face every so often and I promise him I’m going to give him the family he wants one day.
So one day, I put my big girl pants on and I did the one think I know I do well: I researched. I researched basically “How To Make A Baby”. I learned everything I could to give myself a true fighting chance at this. I found wonderful advice on a lot of Trying To Conceive (TTC) blogs that included vitamin regimens, tracking, sex charts, etc. It was very helpful and insightful and I will always keep you all updated on my journey to pregnancy now that I’ve shared this part of my life with you all!
Now this isn’t a sad “Feel sorry for Yanni” blog. This is just getting my thoughts and leaving some people with some tips and tricks who may be going through some similar situations some things I’ve learned with TTC. Hopefully, if you’re like me these end up being helpful in your journey to baby making! My top 5 tips for conception are as follows:
1. Make A Healthier Lifestyle Change. One of the #1 things that has been said to help aid in conception is eating healthier and exercising. Pay attention to your diet. For both you and your partner, food and fertility are linked. Stick to a balanced diet to boost your chances of a healthy baby. Eat several servings of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and calcium-rich foods such as yogurt, cheese, and milk every day.
2. Start Taking A Consistent Vitamin Regime . Taking a multivitamin in addition to a prenatal vitamin, (especially with folic acid) while trying to conceive will help you increase your chances of becoming pregnant. It also helps with the overall health of the baby once you are pregnant!
3. Get A Tracking App. There are a lot of apps out there that will help you track periods, ovulation, sexual intercourse, etc. with just a tap of a button and takes all the stress of remembering away from you. I, personally, use an app called Glow, but you can choose from a few different options in your App Store.
4. Remember To Actually Have Sex. You would think this would be self explanatory… but it’s not. I know from experience. I would do everything to prepare my body but then forget all about what actually makes the baby: SEX! You should be having sexual intercourse with your partner at least 3-4 times weekly (every other day) for maximum sperm from the male.
5. Eliminate Stress In Your Life. The most important of all tips! Remove all stressful things in your life including toxic people and things. Also try practicing how to react differently in stressful situations. Your family should be most important, so temporarily or completely deleting unnecessary relationships, jobs, people, etc, out of your life will definitely help not only your mental health period, but also your ability to be focused on making such a wonderful decision.
At the end of the day, y’all gotta remember even with all of this: God has the final say. So just have fun and be patient! You may not be getting your baby right now, but that doesn’t mean you never will. It definitely happens when you least expect it. I’m speaking to all of you guys as well as myself. Sometimes, He just has a plan greater than our own and we are trying to rush his perfect timing. It will happen… no matter what a doctor says.